Sunday, 1 January 2017

Hello 2017!

Morning glorious 2017!!

The past year had been my year of hibernation, spending most of it bed-bound nursing illnesses whilst battling career rifts and unemployment. I was told according to astrology / feng sui / fortune telling that 2016 was going to be a tough one for me but as much as I didn't want to believe it, I eventually surrendered.

I had a major health episode at the beginning of the year, one that shook up some seriously cold reality checks and had to grow up immediately over. I relocated back home, broke off some toxic relationships (personal and work), then suffered a whole bunch of unexpected culture shocks (physically and mentally).

A lot of people had been asking after Karina Dash on instagram, and I'm eternally grateful for these kind souls especially when it comes at the most unexpected but needed times. I think I'm finally ready to talk about this, and clarify a few things for those who are interested. Karina Dash started off as a fun & games outlet for me, but it picked up a storm so unexpectedly quickly that consumed my whole life in a blink of an eye. I was feeling so exploited towards the end, and even the biggest global names were taking advantage of my puny one-man-band. Perhaps I should have realised the need to acquired an entourage earlier, perhaps I should have been more legal savvy from the start, perhaps I should have been less naive and handled the whole thing as a business instead of a hobby or passion. Sometimes I wonder if I had ruined this opportunity that a lot of people would only dream of. Sometimes I still think it was a dream. Either way, I chose to let it all go and watch the cards fall where they may. I had rapidly lost about 2k followers in the first few months and it was painful to watch. So I stopped checking. Now though, I realise over 7k of you are staying firmly put and I honestly can't tell you how grateful I am for your support (or how many neglected accounts there are out there lol). So I feel compelled to announce officially that Karina Dash will most probably never come back to how it was recognised. That version was me on a dangerous dosage of steroids fed by people who were supposed to take care of my pay cheque. I have, however, recently started entertaining the thought of reinventing the account. It will be a lot less glamorous but probably a lot more personal. I am prepared for a phase of unfollowers so it will be a process I guess! We'll see we'll see...

I had also finally landed a full-time job by August-end and had been rehabilitating into a 9-6 ritual since. It had been hard if I was being totally honest, to go from globe-trotting and getting recognised at comic cons to an desk life getting bullied by small minded people. Am I practically Kara Danvers? Hah I wish I can fly. And Kryptonian. It's actually a pretty cool company; works towards making viral videos (like a fraction of a speckle of buzzfeed) and I'm a content creator there :)

I'm a survivor of 2016, and I feel stronger and more optimistic than ever.
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment